The Mathematics department consists of eight teachers who have a real passion for mathematics and a desire to help pupils realise their potential. It is no secret that maths is prevalent in any aspect of a person’s life, so it is a great pleasure to help young mathematicians develop their skills. Mathematicians have a vast amount of learning opportunities and experiences that stem from the classroom, but also branch out into enrichment clubs, competitions and trips.
Students receive a personalised approach to all stages of education. We offer many levels of intervention and support. We work hard to ensure that every student achieves their full potential.
Transition into Key Stage 5
Key Stage 5 mathematics is significantly more challenging than at Key Stage 4. Mathematicians are now required to use their mathematical knowledge to make logical and reasoned decisions in solving problems both within pure mathematics and in a variety of contexts, and communicate the mathematical rationale for these decisions clearly. Students who successfully make the transition recognise the importance of private study outside of lesson time.
Requirements: A-Level: GCSE Maths 6+ Core Maths: GCSE Maths 5+, GCSE English 5+
Mathematics at Key Stage 5
A-Level mathematics aims to enable students to understand mathematics and mathematical processes in a way that promotes confidence, fosters enjoyment and provides a strong foundation for progress to further study. This is achieved through extending the range of mathematical skills and techniques and growing an understanding of the progression in mathematics and how different areas of mathematics are connected.
- Edexcel Level 3 Advanced GCE in Mathematics (9MA0)
- Paper 1 – Pure Mathematics 1 – (33.33%)
- Paper 2 – Pure Mathematics 2 – (33.33%)
- Paper 3 – Statistics and Mechanics – (33.33%)
All three papers 2 hours in duration and worth 100 marks each.
Core Maths: Mathematics in context aims to enable students to develop competence in the selection and use of mathematical methods and techniques, develop confidence in representing and analysing authentic situations mathematically, and in applying mathematics to address related questions and issues, and build skills in mathematical thinking, reasoning and communication.
- Edexcel Level 3 Certificate in Mathematics in Context (7MCO)
- Paper 1 – Comprehension – (40%)
- Paper 2 – Applications – (60%)
Paper 1 is 1 hour and 40 minutes worth 60 marks
Paper 2 is 1 hour and 40 minutes worth 80 marks
Additional and recommended learning tools or reading
- Casio fx-991EX CLASSWIZ [A-Level and Core Maths] (or fx-CG50 for graphical model) [A-Level]
- Edexcel AS and A level Mathematics Pure Mathematics Year 1/AS Textbook [A-Level]
- Edexcel AS and A level Mathematics Statistics & Mechanics Year 1/AS Textbook [A-Level]
- Edexcel A level Mathematics Pure Mathematics Year 2 Textbook [A-Level]
- Edexcel A level Mathematics Statistics & Mechanics Year 2 Textbook [A-Level]
- Mr B Kiabi – (Head of Department)
- Mr Ogwuda – (Deputy head of Department)
- Miss Lawrance – (KS3 and Enrichment Coordinator of Mathematics)
- Mr Rakshi – (Assistant Headteacher)
- Mr Beech – (Associate Assistant Headteacher)
- Mrs Srikumar
- Mrs Oujidane
- Mr Ansah