- The School
History of the School
In 1863 the Prince of Wales visited Purley and laid the foundation stone for a new building on this site. Three years later the site was required to provide for the expanding numbers of orphans of Warehousemen, Drapers and Haberdashers.
The site was later sold to a London charity to assist orphans who were connected to the textiles industry.
Originally there was a competition to design the building and the fund raising committee included Charles Dickens.
The impressive Venetian Gothic style building stands on top of a hill named after Lord Russell who was President of the Warehousemen and Clerks Charity.
The site was sold in 1962 to The Catholic Diocese of Southwark and in 2012 Thomas More Catholic School celebrated its Golden Jubilee.