Citizenship / WRL / Careers
Citizenship at Thomas More Catholic School is delivered in planned curriculum time (1*60 minute lesson a fortnight for Years 7-11.)
In addition, elements of Citizenship education are addressed in our programme of school assemblies, during tutor time, through lesson content in other subject areas and extra-curricular events such as mock elections.
Citizenship education at Thomas More Catholic School is intended to help students develop their understanding and awareness in six key areas.
- Democracy and Justice
- Global issues
- Rights and Responsibilities
- Diversity and Community
- Personal Wellbeing
- Financial Wellbeing
Delivery of Citizenship education also provides an ideal opportunity for exploring themes associated with British Values.
A school council represents students at Thomas More Catholic School. Representatives are selected for each tutor group who meet on a fortnightly basis with individual subject leaders and others with key responsibilities in the school.
Work Related Learning
Work Related Learning at Thomas More Catholic School is addressed in planned curriculum time and activities outside of lessons.
The WRL programme allows students to:
- learn through work, by providing opportunities for students to learn from direct experiences of work (work experience offered to students in year 10 and year 13).
- learn about work, by providing opportunities for students to develop knowledge about the working world (careers education lessons (all years) and one to one interviews with a specialist careers advisor).
- learn for work by developing skills for enterprise and employability (enterprise activities in lessons (all years), preparation for work experience (year 10) and mock interviews (year 10)).
Careers Information advice and guidance is addressed as follows:
- Individual interviews with a specialist careers advisor for students in years 10, 12 and 13.
- A careers information advice and guidance ‘drop in’ clinic operating on a weekly basis.
- A dedicated careers area in our library with a range of careers, post 16 and university-related reference material.
In addition to services offered by our external partner the following additional sources of advice and guidance are offered at Thomas More Catholic School.
- Regular parent / teacher consultation events.
- GCSE options information assemblies and parents evening.
- Individual mentoring by form tutors and inclusion team.
- Mr Calvert - Curriculum Leader