Sociology is offered at Key Stage 5 at Thomas More and allows the students to study a range of topics within the AQA syllabus. The course is challenging, but highly engaging and successful candidates will have a keen thirst for current affairs and a thirst to understand out complex society.
The main topics are; Crime and deviance, education, the family and Sociological research methods. The course is assessed by three two hour exmas and is therefore only suitable for students with solid essay writing skills and the ability to retain significant volumes of information.
Transition into Key Stage 5
Candidates will ideally have achieved two Grade 6’s or above in English in order to successfully make the transition to studying Sociology at A Level.
Sociology at Key Stage 5
The course is assessed by three two hour exams and is therefore only suitable for students with solid essay writing skills and the ability to retain significant volumes of information.
The Sociology course is divided into three exam papers
- Paper 1: Education with Theory and Methods, 80 Marks – (33.3%)
- Paper 2: Topics in Sociology, 80 Marks – (33.3%)
- Paper 3: Crime and Deviance with Theory and Methods – (33.3%)
Additional and recommended learning tools or reading
- AQA approved Sociology textbooks
- Specialist websites (e.g. Revise Sociology)
- Mr J Govinden (Head of Sociology, Lead practitioner, English teacher).